Thursday, August 11, 2011

Really? Yes. Really.

Perfoming movements that my body tells me it wants to do can fix issues such as pain, limited ROM, and weakness.  I experienced it again yesterday.  It was a much needed reminder to me about the power of movement.
My sciatic nerve in my left hip has been aggravated for the past month or so.  It was to the point that it was waking me at night.  If you follow my blog, you've undoubtedly noticed the lack of training I've been engaging in this summer.  Well, it is no coincidence that my hip starting acting up when I quit moving.  Duh!

Yesterday I had had enough.  While walking through my living room, I stopped and tested my ROM using the toe touch test.  Then I did a few "air swings" to test the movement.  My ROM increased 8 inches.  I knew immediately what I had to do.  Move my body! 

Off to the gym where my heavy kettlebells and plateau buster are located.  I tested more movements and lo and behold, swings, sumo squats, and push ups tested off the charts.  So away I went.

2 Hand Swings - 36 kg (80 lbs.) - 10 min.
200 swings total = 16,000 lbs.

Body Weight Circuit - 11 min. 5 seconds - 4 Rounds
1. Burpee Jump Backs (burpee w/out the stand) - 40 reps total
2. Sumo Squat Pulse to Jump Up - 40 reps total
3. Lizard Pushup - 40 reps total
4. Flying One-Leg Squats - 20 each leg total

My hip is loving me today.  I slept like a baby, and I feel amazing. 

Movement is powerful.  Really? Yes. Really.

No comments: