Friday, August 26, 2011

My Big Fat Blue Ankle

This post has been sitting in my list of posts for a couple days.  I suppose I should finish it and publish it, huh?

So, yes, this post is about my swollen black and blue ankle.  (See pictures below.)



Actually, since I took that second picture, my ankle has become darker, but I'm too lazy to take another picture.  And really, who wants to look at bruised feet?  Which begs the question of why I'm even posting them.  Hmmmmmmm

Anyway, on with the story.

On Sunday I was with my family and some friends on our boat taking our kids water skiing.  The kids are 8 & 10, so they have training skis.  That means someone in the boat hangs onto the rope that is attached to the skis.  That way if the kid falls, the adult holding the rope can let go to keep the poor kid from being drug around the lake.

After one kid was finished, I was fishing the rope out of the water when the boat starting rocking from waves.  That isn't really unusual, but my feet were wet, and they slipped out from under me. 

I can't even say what I smashed, smacked, grazed, or bumped.  All I know is I did NOT fall off the back of the boat.  I ended up on my hind end on the swim platform, dazed and confused. 

I looked at my left leg.  A goose egg was already bubbling up from my shin.  My friend Angie quickly got me some ice to get the swelling down.  That worked wonders.  As you can see from the top photo, I don't have even the slightest bump on my left shin.  I don't really even have a bruise.

On Tuesday, I noticed that my ankle felt a bit stiff.  I looked down and was shocked to see my enormous cankle.  On Wednesday, I noticed the bruise.  Now it's Friday and the bruise is worse. The cankle is smaller, but not back to normal.

I did some training on Wednesday.  As you might guess, I didn't do much with my legs.  I did lots of rows, presses, head stands, and rolls.  It was quite therapeutic. 

On September 1, I am offering two free kettlebell class at the new Lifelong Learning and Recreation Center on the campus of Northwest Iowa Community College.  The classes are at 5 and 5:30 p.m.  If you live close, come over and check it out.  I'd love to see you!

No comments: