Monday, April 18, 2011

A Little Poetry

One of my favorite cartoon strips has been The Far Side.  Remember those? The following Far Side strip has stuck with me for a couple decades.  I believe I first came across it in college.  As an English major and poet, I found it particularly hilarious. 

Imagine a cow's deepest desires.  Now imagine if that cow could express those desires. That, my friends, is "Cow Poetry:"

Honestly, does it get any better than this?

After what happened to me last week, I feel compelled to write my own poem in the tradition of "Cow Poetry."

Distant Bells

The kettlebells call to me.
Their black smoothness seduces my heart.
Oh how I want to snatch and swing.
Oh how I want to clean and press.
Alas, I cannot.

Damn the Cheer bottle!
Damn the Cheer bottle!

Huh?  Cheer bottle?

Yep.  I pushed through the elements of effort when trying to open a bottle of Cheer detergent.  (I swear the thing was super glued shut.)  As a result, I messed up my right wrist. 

I didn't think it was so bad, just a little strain on it.  Then I moved furniture this weekend - mattresses, a couch, tables, recliners, chairs, totes full of household items.  Yeeeee Ouch!!!!!!!!

So, I'm forced to rest my wrist.  That means non-specific movement for me for awhile.  I've been doing some contra-specific movement, which has definitely helped.

Alas! I've learned to be aware of the elements of effort in everyday life as well as in the gym.  Damn the Cheer bottle!

No comments: