Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Adaptation and Training Log

I've been doing some training the past week.  I just haven't had a chance to post.  No biggie.  My training has been a bit boring - lots of running, walking, and body weight drills; no exciting 200 lb. swings or 300 lb. deadlifts. 

I'm really enjoying the change of pace in my training.  For so long I've incorporated weights of all types in my training.  Taking a break is good for me.  That means it's good for my head, body, and my soul.

With my summer schedule, I'm just not able to get to the gym where all my kettlebells and other equipment are stored.  I need to be able to workout at a moment's notice.  The running, walking, and body weight drills have given me that flexibility. 

Probably the best part of this change in training is my ability to elegantly adapt.  Adaptation happens, whether we want it or not.  I used to stress out when adaptation happened.  Now I embrace it and learn from it.  There was a time I would have panicked if I couldn't get to my kettlebells three times a week.  I was afraid I would lose strength and gain weight if I didn't do a certain type of workout.

I now know those thoughts are not reality.  I get to choose how I respond.  I choose to respond elegantly and accept the adaptation for what it is.  Then I choose a way to make the most out of the opportunity.

That behavior is good for me.  It makes me better in all aspects of my life.

Training Log
In case you're wondering, I ran in Vibram Five Fingers for 20 minutes followed by 15 minutes of walking on 6-15. (See my post below.)  I walked in VFF for 45 minutes on 6-17.  And I ran in VFF for 20 minutes on 6-19.

Today I did the following body weight circuit:

1. Jumping Jack to Jump Up - 105 reps total
2. Sumo Squat w/ Torso Twist - 140 reps total
3. Split Jump w/ High Kick - 140 reps total
4. Mountain Climber Jumps - 70 reps total

Time - 19 minutes, 15 secs
455 Total Reps - 7 rounds

The mountain climber jumps were new for me.  Basically, you get in the mountain climber position and then jump up during each rep instead of "running" your knees.  I guess it's like doing a split jump with your hands on the floor.  They are really tough to do.

There you have it.  My training.  Not exciting, but it's effective.

No comments: