Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Work Is Never Done

My quest to grow stronger has me working on my life daily. The main thing I'm working on now is to get my big toe joint mobile and firing properly. Huh?

You see, I have bunions. I think I was born with them. My bunions make my feet so incredibly hideous to look at that I won't even post a picture of them! (Poor Brad; he has had to work with my feet and he has seen up close what grotesque structures they are.) My goal with my feet is to improve my gait by retraining my feet to load and transfer weight properly. Part of that includes getting my big toe joint unlocked and mobile. I walk around in my Vibrams and do a lot of toe raises and waves and other Z Health drills. The right one is pretty mobile, but that left one is stubborn!

Another element I've been working on is my nutrition. I've slipped some being home for the summer, so I'm recommitting to my veggies. To that end, I've been making cole slaw (aka cabbage salad - Tracy LOL!!). I've been using various dressings and doctoring them up, but this week, I made my own FROM SCRATCH!! I didn't even have a recipe. Here's what I ended up putting in. I have no idea on the measurements. I just poured. I'll call it

"Amy's Asian Dressing"
olive oil
sesame seed oil
lime juice
soy sauce
ginger
red pepper flakes
cilantro
onion
honey
Mix in a mini food processor or blender and pour over slaw.

I make my slaw with any and all raw veggies. This week - green and red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots. I put the slaw on mixed greens. Some chicken and crunchy noodles would be good too. Ooooo - almonds would be yummy! Okay, now I'm hungry.

My training has been rocking this week. I've done my training in the morning and I feel so much more prepared for the day. That's good because my days are CRAZY!!! I'll get a break when I go back to work! I should have found a nanny again for this summer. Did you know that dirty dishes reproduce when placed next to each other on the counter. It's weird!

I'm very lucky to not have to "work" in the summer, but let me tell you; I'm busier when I'm home. It doesn't help that the kids are home doing kid things, which results in messes everywhere. Add to that the new puppy and a husband who is putting all of his free time into the back yard and I have a heck of a lot of work. I guess if I stop having work, I stop having a life. However, I am going to evaluate what it is most important and what I can let go. I'm also going to take an afternoon and jump on my Harley and just ride. I need a break.

No comments: