Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Anxious and Giddy

I can be such a girl sometimes! I am so anxious for Saturday I want to jump up and down and clap my hands like the newly crowned Miss America. Why?

I'm participating in the Grip-n-Rip training put on by Brad Nelson and Adam Glass!! Insert a cheerleader high kick with a woot woot!! (Click on the Brad Rants link on the right to read about it.)

Okay, now that my girlie moment has passed, I can gain my composure. Clearing my throat; standing up straight; smoothing my hair.

This training will help me tap my strength potential, something I know runs deep, but I'm not sure how to unleash it. I've met most of my "vanity" goals, so I need something to keep my brain interested in training.

Just ask Brad about my brain. I think I drive him crazy with all my analysis and intellectualizing. What about this and what about that? I'm thinking this and I'm thinking that. My brain never shuts off. I always need a challenge, be it physical or intellectual. Never stop learning, growing, pushing myself.

Grip-n-Rip is a great opportunity for me to challenge myself. I've never really thought of myself as a horseshoe or nail-bending girl, but who knows? I never imagined myself swinging around 45 pounds of cast iron either!

One thing that's for sure, I want to be able to do a pull-up. I'm a big gal - 5'11" 158 lbs. - so it's a daunting challenge. Perhaps if I drop a few more lbs. and learn how to tap my strength, I will experience the bliss of pulling up my own bodyweight. (You men reading this have no idea how jealous us women are of your upper body strength. Don't take your ability to do pullups for granted!!!)

I think that's why I'm so excited for Saturday. I will be one step closer to that experience. I get to start a new chapter in my training. Besides, if I want to be an RKC II, I have to be able to do at least one pull up and pistol. I never met a challenge I didn't want to dominate.

Go Me!!!!

2 comments:

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

Go Amy! I am so jealous, I read about it on his rant page last week. To have Brad and Adam Glass together, you will get loads of tips for training. I agree about being jealous of men who can crank out pull-ups like mad. Also, women who can do it astound me.

I bought a $30 pull up bar after Christmas and practice here and there as I walk by. I use a band for assistance but can only do 2 in a row assisted (chin-up style though)..it's a start. One Sat. we had a blizzard I GTG all day with it. It is alot of fun and definitley a challenge.

Have a great time sucking in the info on Sat...I will be thinking of you!

Amy Jurrens said...

Renee,
I can do lots of pullups with the jump stretch bands, but nary a one without assistance. Grrrrrrr!!!

Hey Nikki - Any advice for a girl? You're my strength mentor. You're such a rock star pressing and snatching those man bells! ;-)