Friday, January 30, 2009

Presence

I have felt so much more present during my training this week than I have in a long time. The new direction helps tremendously. For example, I have NEVER liked do TGUs. I hated them so much that I would literally go through the motions to just get them done. I always used a 12 kg bell and always complained that my left knee hurt. Since I did a 20 kg TGU on Saturday, I realize that I am stronger than I thought and that TGUs are an important step in increasing my strength, especially my pressing and grip strength.

Wednesday brought a great training session. I got to do 8 reps on each side of arm bar to a TGU with the 16 kg KB. I LOVED it. I feel so strong on arm bars because I am able to press both hips to the ground with my legs straight behind me. That stretch feels amazing. Then I went into the TGU with confidence. My brain was engaged in each movement. That rated a 6 on my PRE scale. It didn't wind me, but it was challenging.

After that I did 10 minutes of snatches with the 16 kg. I went 7 minutes where I did 7 reps L, R and then had the rest of the minute to rest (usually 30 seconds). The remaining three minutes I went 6 reps L, R. So, I did 134 snatches. That rated an 8 on PRE scale.

Thursday I took off from training. My body was definitely ready for some recovery. I've still been sleeping more - I have woken up 20 minutes before my alarm every morning this week! Tonight I get to do some presses, pullups, and suitcase deadlifts. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Adam said...

You're moving in to an important area with your training. The mental game is more weighted than the body. When people just "go through the motions" they will always miss things. Leaking power, sloppy form, building bad grooves. Be here Now. write that on your training log and it set it on the floor where you can see it during your workouts.