Friday, September 5, 2008

Improvising

or how to train when you feel too weak to do what Brad has ordered you to do.

Yesterday I was slated to do four circuits, 4 times each. I started well completing the following:

Circuit 1:
Squat jumps - 10
High Pulls - 12 l, r w/ 16 kg
4 rounds, 30 secs between rounds

Circuit 2:
One arm rows - 8 l, r w/16 kg
Military Pushups - 6
4 rounds, 30 secs between rounds

So I was supposed to do some push presses w/ the 16 kg, but I was weak, weak, weak. I tried substituting 12 kg MP, but that didn't feel much better. I was also supposed to do some squats, but I wasn't feeling those either. Do you ever get that where certain drills feel impossible? You just want to give up and go home? That's where I was yesterday.

I knew that I couldn't just stop, though. I had to salvage the training session. So I asked my body, "Body, what do you need? What sounds like fun?" The answer came loud and clear.

SWINGS!!!!

Elevate the heart rate and burn some cals.

So, I decided to see if I could do 100 one-handed swings nonstop with the 16 kg. Off I went.

20 L
20 R
20 L
20 R
10 L
10 R
It took me 2:30 to do those 100. HR was 150. I rested 1:00. Then

20 L
20 R
20 L
20 R
10 L
10 R
It took 2:30 again! HR was 160 I rested 1:30. Then

20 L
20R
10 L
10 R
10 L
10 R
10 L
10 R
10 L
10 R
That also took 2:30. I didn't take my HR. I was done.

It felt good to smoke my lungs and see that I could do high volume work without much rest. Today I have a longer circuit on the docket. I hope my strength is back. If not, I'll swing, swing, swing again.

2 comments:

Nikki Shlosser said...

Nice work!!

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

That is an awesome Circuit. Sometimes thinking on your feet gives excellent results!