Monday, October 6, 2008

Why Everyone Needs a Trainer

I would never put together a training program like this one for myself. It takes an objective outsider to put a person through the hell that is EDT - Escalating Density Training. If I had to count on myself to come up with this torture device, it would never happen. That also means I would never push myself beyond my comfort zone.

Conclusion: Hire a trainer to push you to your limits and beyond.

Here is a breakdown of the EDT fun Brad prescribed for me today.

PR Zone 1 - 15 Minutes
1. Box Jumps - 150
2. One-Leg Deadlifts w/16 kg KB - 75 per leg (150 total)

Okay - can you say spasms in the lower back. Yeeouch!


PR Zone 2 - 15 Minutes
1. Pushups - 52
2. Dips off Bench - 91

Most of the reps were completed in the first 10 minutes. After that, my arms were spaghetti. My upper body strength is almost non-existant apparently. I have a fire in my belly to change that. (I need more cowbell!) I know I'm female, but that doesn't mean I have to be such a girl!!


As if the EDT weren't quite enough, Brad threw in

High Pulls - w/ 16 kg KB
Descending ladder 10 L, R down to 1 L, R.

This took me 5:15 to complete. I could have done it faster; however, I couldn't feel my hands after the pushups and dips, so I had to rest my grip to prevent the KB from flying out of my hands.

I can't wait to see my EDT numbers after a few weeks. I am confident that I will do my RKC community proud! Hold me to task. Don't let me wuss out. Brad is going to be in Africa for a couple of weeks, so I will need you all to hold me accountable while he is gone.

2 comments:

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Your post is very true. It is amazing how 30 seconds of rest can become 40 in a New York minute when I am flying solo.

I hear the same thing from my classes all the time.

Additionally, there is the social pressure you see in a group class since no one wants to bring up the rear.

Anonymous said...

Give someone else the power and they'll use it - haha!

Way to go!!