Sunday, June 8, 2008

I Couldn't Ask for More


My eye surgery went flawlessly. I walked out able to see. This is so amazing to me. Friday morning I woke early and just marveled that I could see without grabbing for my glasses. I have thirty years of habit to undo!


I have been legally blind all my life. I was 20/1000. No kidding. Contacts were not very comfortable, so I rarely wore them once I hit my thirties. But, my life has changed so much in the last three years, that wearing glasses was becoming a real pain in the arse. I ride Harley; I waterski; I golf; I kettlebell. All of these are difficult to do when you are tied to prescription lenses. Plus, I couldn't get good sunglasses because of my high correction.


I am very lucky that the leading lasik doctor in the country is in my backyard - Sioux Falls, SD - about an hour away. Dr. Vance Thompson uses the latest technology and works with the FDA. I felt very comfortable and confident that I was in good hands. I had no pain during or after the surgery. The entire procedure was done with lasers that use technology developed by NASA to track your eye movements. Incredible!


I drove myself to my one-day post-op checkup. I have great distance vision. The closeup vision is slower in coming. It's tough for me to read the newspaper, blogs, or email. It will just take time for my eyes to get everything adjusted. I can't swim for a few more weeks nor can I rub my eyes, which is tough when I've got to put in three different eyedrops that goop up on my eyelashes.


I'm just so thrilled with the entire process and the result. I've already bought two pairs of sunglasses! I also golfed 9 holes this afternoon and cut 9 strokes off my pre-surgery score. This is fun!


Now I get to have a new Z Health evaluation from Brad because all of my perception has changed. I bet my CNS is saying "WTF?!!! Can't compute; can't compute. " I only swang my KBs once since surgery and that was just to show someone the flavor of KBs. I'm anxious for my training schedule from Brad. I wonder what it'll feel like to train without glasses. Hmmmmmmm I'll keep you posted.

No comments: