Monday, June 15, 2009

Tweeky Weeky

I tweeked my back on Thursday and was in spasms most of the weekend. I did lots of Z Health and tried to just function as normal. Today I said, "Enough!" I was determined to do my training tweeks and all. Call from Brad and I had my game plan. Try the 16 kg kb. If that hurts, do not do the training.

Surprisingly, or not, my training went really well. I had an open mind. I did not go in thinking I was doomed. Positive thoughts. My body knows what to do. I trusted my body. The trust was well-founded. Having the tweeky back actually made me focus on my movement, doing every little motion with intention and perfection. As a result, I feel amazing and my tweekies are melting away. It's as if my muscles needed to do some work to quit freaking out. :P

Front Squats - 20 kg (44 lb) - 5 x 3 L, R (RPE - 7)
Windmills - 20 kg - 5 x 3 L, R (RPE - 6)
Clean & Press - 16 kg - 4 x 1, 2, 3
-I rushed that bell up to the top as quickly as a I could. Explosions every time. I did more strict C & P on the left than ever before. The 3rd rep of each set still need a tiny push, but I could definitely tell I'm stronger.
RPE - 7 (L) & 6 (R)

I also did 10 ring pullups today between loads of laundry. Rings in the laundry room. There's an idea. My grandfather hung them there about 50 years ago, but I have no idea why. (I live in my grandparents' house.) Every time I do pullups on those rings I imagine my grandma doing pullups. I doubt she actually did them, but I like to put that image in my mind so I smile. I want to do pullups when I'm a grandma.

Post Script: I asked my dad about the rings in my basement. My grandfather made them in the 1960s. He did pullups from them, too! They are made from 3/4 inch OD steamer tubing and galvanized chain that he bolted to the ceiling rafters. I have 9 foot ceilings in my basement, which is very cool.

No comments: