Friday, December 17, 2010

Over and Out

Ten four, good buddy! My semester is over and I'm outta there. I am ready for a few days away from grading papers. I do have a lot of ideas to work up over my break for my spring semester classes. I'm going to blow my students away!

A professor can dream, can't she?

Seriously, I have so many new activities and assignments I want to try to make my classes better. It's going to be fun!

Know what else is fun? Gym Movement training. I had the best training session today. After gorging myself on Christmas goodies all week, I vowed to work out for three hours today. Luckily it didn't take three hours to get in some quality movements and make myself feel fantastic.

So many drills tested well today. It was insane. I chose the six that tested best and put them in a circuit.

Circuit - 30 minutes - 25,000 lbs. +
1. Plate Press - 25 lbs.
Left - 25 reps, Right - 32 reps
2. ATG Squats - 80 reps
3. TRX Pushups - 48 reps
4. Snatch - 12 kg
Left - 60 reps, Right - 60 reps
5. 1 Arm KB Cleans - 20 kg
Left - 40 reps, Right - 40 reps
6. 1 Arm KB Rows - 16 kg
Left - 32 reps, Right - 32 reps

I did four rounds of drills. Listed above are my total reps for the four rounds. Today was the first time in months that snatches test well. Cleans and swings work essentially the same range of motion in the lower body, but don't put stress between my shoulder blades. Plus, cleans and swings allow me to move a lot more weight. I'm curious to see how my body reacts to the snatches and if my pain will come back. If so, I'm good with leaving snatches out of my regimen.

I smell some sacred cow burning.

2 comments:

Peter "Fucking" Baker said...

What do you teach? Also, I do you notice that your teaching philosophy is akin to gym movement at all? I adopted GM quickly because my teaching philosophy was similar all along, and never knew it.

Amy Jurrens said...

I teach Composition I and II, Public Speaking, and literature. Just as in the gym, my teaching philosophy is focused on better. How can I help students improve? How can I show them to tap their inner resources to do better? How can I help them make better decisions? I ask myself those questions every day I go into the classroom. Beyond the classroom, I also serve on my local school board and do the same type of inquiry. How can our district do better for the students?

It is a great way to approach all of my life's elements, not just my physical training. That's why Gym Movement immediately resonated with me.