Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Playing in the "White Dirt" - a.k.a. Snow!!

The college where I teach English had Winter Games today. Students from a couple of my classes put together a team. I was the team captain. I had to do a round of Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide which side of the rope we got, and I won. Go me! Our team didn't do so well - we were made up of Composition students and a Powerline students from my Technical Communications course. We had to compete against the Heavy Equipment students. Yeah, it wasn't pretty. We had 7 pullers, and they had 6. We hung in there until the referee made our seventh man drop out. Then we all let go so we wouldn't have a snow sandwich for lunch.

What does all of this have to do with my training? Well, #1 - it made me realize that I am strong and have good endurance. I wasn't even winded after pulling for five minutes, but the 19 year olds on my team were sucking air. #2 - There are so many overweight, out of shape young adults. Those Heavy Equipment students were dying. They laid in the snow weazing when they were done with their second competition. Unbelievable.

After work I headed to the gym for the following fun times and the usual strange looks and head shakes:

5 Rounds of:
10 Burpees
10 Ass-to-Grass Squats
8 Pushups
20 Mountain Climbers
8 Inverted Rows

30 seconds of rest between rounds.

I also did lunges with torso rotation. I was supposed to press the 26 lb. bell while lunging and twisting, but that didn't go so well. I could do 5 with my right arm, but only 2-3 with my left. Darn you presses! When will I conquer you? I still have my goal of pressing the 44 lb. bell.

I will press on!

No comments: