Friday, March 20, 2009

Frustrated on Friday

My training actually went pretty well today; however, I'm frustrated. Why? Because I still have weak points that I want to fix. They are keeping me from attaining my goals.

1. Military Press groove on the left
I know the movement pattern on the left is inefficient, yet I can't find the proper patterning. Help! I need an RKC!! I'll try to get a video of myself pressing and post it for critique. I'm just not sure when I'll get to that.
2. Grip Strength
The only thing keeping me from pulling higher weight in my suitcase deadlift is my grip. (If you aren't familiar with the suitcase deadlift, it is when you lift a bar and plates on one side of your body like you are picking up a suitcase. In a normal deadlift, you lift the bar and plates in front of you.) I cannot keep ahold of the bar in my left hand when I get over 100 pounds. Let me take that back. I can hold the bar for two reps at 105 lbs. but lose it at the 3rd. If that doesn't just p!$$ me off!

I don't want to complain and I don't want to psyche myself out over these two issues, BUT they are interfering with my progress and I just can't have it.

On to the good.................

Today's training looked like this:

Military Press - 16 kg - 4 x 1, 2, 3 L, R
-On the left, I had to clean the bell before each rep. By the 3rd rung of the 3rd set I had to add a little push to my press. I HATE THAT!!!!
-On the right I went 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 straight MP Hardstyle.

Suitcase Deadlift - 105 lbs. - 5 x 1 L, R
-On the second rep, the clamp let loose and the weights fell off the bar. That sent my neck into a spasm. Scared the bejeebers out of me. I had to take a little break and regroup.
-I finished the 5 reps on the right. I did one more on the left at 105 and then had to drop down to 95 because of my left grip weakness.

Pull-ups
-I did two sets of 1 rep w/ the black band followed immediately by 2 reps of purple band.
-I could really feel that in my lats when I used that black band. That is the closest I've ever been to doing a pull-up.
-Uh, why didn't anyone tell me that the black band has almost no stretch to it? I'm pretty stoked that I did 2 reps with that black band. It made the purple feel like a trampoline.

So there you have it. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the amazing. All in one hour. Now I'm ready for a rest. I'm munching on some almonds thinking about what to eat for supper. Steak anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your progress and understand your frustration. However, you have developed your strength in leaps and bounds over the last few months. It has been nothing short of beautiful! I'm sure you will push through these minor tweaks quickly. Get your video up here and Dragon Door. I would love to see it. I too have issues with the left. Mostly around the lats not engaging fully. As for the grip, what about heavy swing sets? Lots of them? Not sure if that will help you, but I find it helpful.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see your results!!!

Amy Jurrens said...

Thanks, Tara! It means so much that you follow my training and give me support. I'll try to get a video up. Gotta get my 11 year old to do the tech stuff! lol