Monday, July 13, 2009

Facing my Nemesis

I've started Block B of my new training focus. I got to revisit some old friends and an old nemesis. The nemesis must be conquered. Usually, I avoid it whenever possible. It hurts my ego because I don't put up big weights. That is exactly why I need to work hard on it. As Marty Gallagher says, we play to our strengths; when we start playing to our weaknesses, big gains result.

My brain is in gear, Marty, and I'm cruising along with you on this one.

Bent Press - 24 kg (53 lb) - 5 x 2 L, R
-Hello old friend. It's nice to see you. It's been a long time. It was surprising to see the 5 x 2 protocol since I haven't done these for awhile. I took a deep breath and jumped in.
-Each set felt progressively stronger. My left has NEVER felt this strong.
-Between sets I did some of my Zscription.
RPE - 7

A) Squats - 20 kg (44 lb) - 4 x 10
B) Open Palm Windmills - 12 kg - 4 x 5 L, R
-Oh, cursed squats. Why do you torment me so? 10 at a time, seriously? Thanks Brad!
-I did em all, and tried to have a positive mindset throughout. I focused on my big toes and on a forceful push. These made my hips get the Z fever. Whew!
-I will work through these as they are my weakness. If I ever have the desire to do a pistol, I must strengthen my squats.
RPE - 8
-The open palm windmills were a new treat. The weight of the kb was not an issue at all. I focused on steadying the bell and holding my shoulder in its socket. Locked and loaded!
RPE - 5

Snatches - 20 kg (44 lb) - 6 L, R on the min. for 8 min.
-Okay, is this Brad's idea of a joke? I haven't snatched in weeks. 20 kg. Really? I lasted 4 min with that dog. Then I used the 16 kg for the remaining 4 min.
-It was a bit disheartening that I couldn't make the entire 8 min. w/ the 20 kg, but I have to remember that I've been Zhabbing and I've made tremendous gains with that. The kb drills are just one part of my entire training regimen.
RPE - 9

This entire training session had me jacked. I was ready to hurl the entire time because I was so shaken up. I think the Z and the kb drills wreak havoc with my CNS and my hormones. Is there anyone out there researching this? Mike Nelson?? I could be a guinea pig cuz Z Health gets me good.

No comments: