Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Something Old, Something New

Nothing borrowed or blue. I'm already married (for nearly 17 years - how did that happen when I'm so young?)

Let me start with the "something old." My training today let me revisit the other drills from Block A of my rehab.

A) Ring Pullup Negatives - 5 x 4
B) Waiter Press - 25 lb. plate - 5 x 4 L, R
-The negatives were tough! I had a hard time holding those and going slow, especially at the end.
-The presses were easy. I thought about putting a 2.5 lb. plate on top, but resisted because of logistics.

1 Arm, 1 Leg Deadlifts - 24 kg (53 lbs) - 4 x 3 L, R
-I focused on my big toe plant and did some Z Health between sets.

So there was the old. After doing all of this, I felt flat, lacking. I needed more. What to do? I utilized a new tool to inspire me - a heart rate monitor. Actually, I wore it through my entire training session today. I was curious as to how hard I was working. My HR didn't go above 95 during my training. Not good.

I wanted to get my blood pumping, so I decided to do some swings. The 24 kg bell was right there at my feet, so away I went.

I decided to do 25 swings then check my HR. Once it went below 120 bpm, I would swing another 25 times. I decided I would do 200 swings this way and see how long it took me. It took 10:04.

I have no idea if 120 bpm is too low or too high for a recovery number. Time will tell. While doing the 25 swings, my HR never went above 145 bpm. That seems low to me?????

Actually, I'm really curious to see where my HR is when I do hard snatches. Too bad I didn't have the monitor when I did the Ultimate Snatch Test. I bet I was around 170 during that torture session.

So, now I have a new tool to help me track my progress. My brain is going, going, going. All the possibilities for tracking gains and challenging myself. I already have a goal to beat for my next training session - burn more than 220 calories. That shouldn't be a problem. I have to do 100 double jerks and 30 TGUs. : )

No comments: